My travel map:


View Larger Map
Click on any of the balloons above to see my posts from that place.

View my best posts for a shortened version of my experience. (go to oldest posts first)

Sunday 12 April 2009

4/12/09 easter, last day in barcelona

Today was a solo day since Nate and Hannah were doing their own thing. Checked out of the hostel and headed over to MacDonald's for some breakfast/lunch. I decided to start out my adventure by heading to the famous unfinished Sagrada Familia (the holy family church). The church was absolutely gargantuan in size and ornate in stature. The line to get into the church was, appropriately, also monstrously long since it was Easter Sunday after all. The architecture adorning the inside and outside of the church derived its inspiration from patterns found in nature. The ceiling held up by massive pillars that branched out at the top to support the ceiling like a forest canopy overhead.

From Barcelona Trip


From Barcelona Trip


Next stop was the Gothic Quarter and Catedral, and the various old gothic buildings in the area. After a while I decided to wander through the side streets in the general direction of the city park. After some walking I eventually stumbled onto the impressive L'arc de Triomf. From there I walked into the city park which featured a random statue of a wooly mammoth and an impressive water fountain display with dragon head statues.

From Barcelona Trip


From Barcelona Trip


By this point it was raining pretty hard and my flight time was fast approaching, so I walked back to Catalunya plaza and to a Chinese restaurant I wanted to go to the day before. It was closed for Easter (duh), but I would not be denied my delicious Asian sustinence. I realized I could risk walking all the way to Wok to Walk and back to the plaza and cutting time close for the bus to the airport, or I could get on the bus hungry and always wonder how good the Wok to Walk would have been.

Even though my back was sore from carrying around my backpack all day and it was raining like crazy, I decided that with no risk there can be no reward, and I forged on to Wok to Walk. It was a risky endeavor, but I made it there and back in record time through the endless throngs of people crowding the street. It was totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment