My travel map:


View Larger Map
Click on any of the balloons above to see my posts from that place.

View my best posts for a shortened version of my experience. (go to oldest posts first)

Wednesday 8 April 2009

4/8/09 Class, Nightmare losing my wallet

Everything seemed to be going well, I was getting packed and ready for Easter Break in Barcelona, and I decided to go get a few groceries for my last days in London. I got my groceries at Sainsbury's, checked out, headed back to the flat, and then my world turned upside down...

Back in my flat I realized that I didn't have my wallet on me. I went back to the store and asked if they had picked it up, but it was nowhere to be found. While fumbling at the checkout trying to hold all my bags and pay for my food at the same time, I must have somehow dropped my wallet on the ground and someone picked it up.

At this point it hit me like a ton of bricks... I was in a foreign country with no way of getting to my money and had all of 5 pounds on me in cash. Even though I still had my Bank of America ATM Card in my room, it didn't work at any ATM I had tried in London. I had a flight booked to leave tomorrow. I felt so utterly horrified and helpless.

Of course I called my mom and let her know what was happening and she offered to wire me money to a bank in Barcelona. I then spent forever trying to get through to BAC to see if they could fix my card somehow. And after realizing that you can't call a 1-800 number from outside the US and getting transferred through like 3 different departments, I finally got to a person who said he was unable to help me since the ATMS don't let you select a savings account option. Effed.

No comments:

Post a Comment