My travel map:


View Larger Map
Click on any of the balloons above to see my posts from that place.

View my best posts for a shortened version of my experience. (go to oldest posts first)

Thursday 9 April 2009

4/9/09 Easter Break in Barcelona

On the Gatwick Express train Nate found a return ticket in the tray table for the Stansted Express that I could use and not have to pay the ~13 pounds, maybe my luck is getting better? After landing in Barcelona we realized it was really sunny and hot out, but the nice weather was just a tease as it quickly turned overcast.

Our hostel was located just off the famous main street, La Rambla, which was quite the sight to behold. La Rambla was covered with swarms of people, there were open market pet stores on the street and people dressed up like painted statues and famous characters like Edward Scissorhands.

From Barcelona Trip


From Barcelona Trip


From Barcelona Trip


We got to the hostel and learned to our dismay that the hostel wouldn't take credit cards and wanted the payment to be in cash. So much for our plan of covering that part of my expenses with Nate's credit card. We walked to the bank on the other side of the main street, La Rambla, and hoped beyond hope that my atm card would come back from the dead and magically work. It has an option for savings account and colored Euro bills come out, muchos gracias! I guess my luck is getting better. Ironically, I end up covering Nate's hostel fee.

We meet Hannah and her friend Jackie at the Catalunya plaza and walk with them to their hostel, which is in a somewhat sketchy looking side street off of La Rambla. We wandered around looking for food and I stumbled upon what may be one of the greatest finds ever, Wok to Walk. It was full of terribly unhealthy and terribly delicious Chinese food, and I ordered a container of noodles and beef slathered in sweet and sour sauce.

At night we went out to see some nightlife, and hit up MyBar and TempleBar for a few drinks. There was some unintelligible creeper guy who got hilariously thrown out of the one bar. Walking back to the hostel at night was kind of sketchy, as there were guys standing on the sidewalk selling beer cans out of 6 packs, not to mention that there were prostitutes on street corners whistling as you walked by. Little did I know this was only the beginning of my experience with how sketchy Barcelona could be at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment