My travel map:


View Larger Map
Click on any of the balloons above to see my posts from that place.

View my best posts for a shortened version of my experience. (go to oldest posts first)

Saturday 28 March 2009

3/28/09 Part 1: Dachau

In the morning I went downstairs to get breakfast, and randomly Andrew, Ian, Greg, and Eric were there at my hostel. We headed out by train and then bus to Dachau, the famous concentration camp which all other German concentration camps were modeled after. There was a very large museum that went in depth into all aspects of the historical events of the time period and the workings of the camp, and the medical experiments section in particular really got to me.

From Munich Trip


From Munich Trip


From Munich Trip


There were several of the original buildings still standing, including the living quarters, which were severely cramped. Dachau also holds the only undamaged gas chamber left in the world. It was a very somber but nonetheless important and moving experience. A plaque inside Dachau reads:

“May the example of those who were exterminated here between 1933-1945, because they resisted Nazism, help to unite the living for the defense of peace and freedom and respect for their fellow man.”

No comments:

Post a Comment